Safe use of Internet
Safe use of Internet
Follow the tips, and you'll be fine!
We all use the Internet for information, entertainment and work. We enjoy the capabilities it provides and recognise that safe use is a very serious matter.
15 Simple Basic Principles for Safe Use of Internet & PCs
1. Use the most updated versions of your programs and apps
Frequently update your browsers (Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc), and your PC’s operating system. Always activate the integrated safety features of the browser programs, e.g. blocking pop up windows, management of “Cookies”, etc.
2. Install virus tracking programs and additional security software
Virus tracking programs (antivirus, antispyware) maximize your PC’s safety. They are constantly updated and are always in position to deal with new threats. Firewall programs control all computer information and prevent the spread of viruses and malware.
3. Only use programs from trusted sources
You should only use programs that you find on the Internet if you are certain about their source or origin.
4. Always backup your data
Maintaining backup files is a safety valve for your PC and your files. Files can be backed up on portable hard disks, digital CDs or DVDs and USB Sticks.
5. Safeguard your passwords
Avoid using passwords that are easy to memorize (e.g. well known dates or keywords, sequences of letters or proper names). One suggestion is to create a password by choosing combinations of upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols with at least 8 characters. Finally, keep your passwords secret!
6. Avoid opening unknown files, messages or links
Many messages that circulate on the Internet are “polluted” by malicious files, viruses or illegal and inappropriate content. Activate the filter for undesired messages, and set it at the highest possible level before you open unknown messages.
7. Always use legal music and video files
Before you use any type of file, it is important to be sure that it’s not illegal or a “Trojan Horse” program.
8. Respect intellectual property rights
It is important to only use legal files on the Internet, to safeguard creators' intellectual property rights as well as your own security. Avoid web pages that make unlicensed content available without the consent of the content creators.
9. Always check the reliability of web stores
Always check the reliability of web stores from the “identity” of their web page and look for the proper information via Internet records www.whois.net Greek data base www.hostmaster.gr/cgibin/webwhois. A web store usually has a special mark on its web page that certifies its “identity” and informs the user of the kind of security that the particular site implements.
10. Protect your personal data
According to regulations regarding personal data safety, personal data may only be collected and used under strict conditions. When you are asked to communicate any personal data, you should provide your clear consent to its collection and processing beforehand. Your explicit consent is required especially in the cases where a web store wants to forward your details to any third party company for processing, since any processing is considered illegal.
11. What you should know before you make any electronic commercial transaction
According to EU legislation you can cancel or return a service or product within a certain time period, which usually lasts for seven days.
- In the event of a return and refund, you are charged with the shipping fees
- In the event of a faulty product, a complaint can be made to the competent national authorities and departments (see below) and
- In the event where a service is not performed, you are entitled to a cash refund.
12. Where to find advice or troubleshooting tips regarding electronic transactions:
- At the very store where the electronic transaction took place
- At the professional association and/or Chamber of Commerce that represents the sector for that particular outlet
- The consumer protection division at the Ministry of Development
- The “Friendly Settlement” committees at Prefectures throughout Greece
- The customer service division or the Issuing Division of the Bank that has issued the credit card you used in the transaction
- Consumer Associations
- The Cyber Crime Section at the General Police Directorate of Attica.
13. Use your credit card in online transactions wisely
Modern data encryption methods significantly reduce the cases of electronic fraud. You have the right to nullify the transaction and request a refund of your money even in cases where there are “curious” charges.
14. Check the rules regarding the safety of transactions at electronic auction stores
Where you use auction services and/or purchase/sell goods, it is important to check that the rules regarding safety of transactions are coherent and the service complies with the rules governing such sites.
15. Be cautious when you use computers where people you do not know have access
For your own safety, it is necessary to take certain precautions when you use public access computers, e.g. delete the temporary memory and activity history when you are done.